Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chapter 1: Jack and Jennie Mae


Jack and Jennie Mae met at Phillips University in Enid, OK. They were friends in college. After graduation Dad continued in Seminary and Mother went back to Hutchinson. This is when she worked on for the Hutchinson Police Department. I do not know the circumstances that brought them back together, but I know he took her to a movie and told her, he always planned on taking the girl he wanted to marry to this particular movie. Kelli said he told her he liked Mother's manicured fingernails. RED?? Wow! I also think it was Mother who told me they went to Galveston before they were married. Maybe I misunderstood!!! Something about Aunt Grace covering for them??!!

They were married January 24, 1936 at Central Christian Church, Enid Oklahoma. Dad said Mom (that's what we called his Mother) kept coming up behind him and sniffing. I don't think she was very pleased he was marrying. I don't get that, but I think that's a good thing.

They began their life together in Perry, OK. Mother lost a baby the first year and their is a very small, insignificant marker at the Perry cemetary. His name was David. I don't even know the date and Mother never acknowledged any suffering or whining or whimpering about it. GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON....

Thus, a little over nine months later......brings us to Chapter 2.

1 comment:

Olivers Twist, Oklahoma said...

Jack and Jennie Mae at 811 Lincoln Street in Coffeyville, Kansas. It is most likely Easter Sunday 195?. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes...